The City of Regina (the “City”) is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of people’s personal information. All personal information that is collected by the City is done so in accordance with The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
What personal information does the City collect?
Some examples of personal information that the City may collect are:
- Contact information such as name, address, phone number, business contact information, email address;
- Additional demographic information such as age, gender, education or household information;
- Health information;
- Identification information;
- Personal opinions
- Financial information such as billing information, income information or service account information.
Voice Recording and Video Surveillance
Voice recording and video surveillance may be used to increase public safety and/or improve customer service. In such cases, the City will make every reasonable effort to ensure citizens are adequately informed.
What does the City do with my personal information?
In most cases the personal information that we collect from you is used to deliver services on behalf of the City. For example, water service billing, fire protection services, recreation program registration, or responding to a customer inquiry.
- Your personal information may be used to verify your identity or program eligibility.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about utility billing and changes to our policies or terms of service. Because of your customer relationship with the City and because this information is important to your interaction with the City, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- In some cases such as fire protection services, burial permit provision, or life guard response the City may be required to collect personal information about the physical or mental condition of an individual.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve the City’s services and communications.
- If you enter into a contest or similar promotion we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.
- In some instances, subject to obtaining the necessary consent, the personal information you provide such as email or mailing address may be used to contact you regarding new services available by the City, upcoming events, facility information or other relevant notifications. You may also be asked to provide your opinion or feedback on various topics from time to time. Participation in these types of initiatives is voluntary and an unsubscribe option will be provided should you wish to no longer receive correspondence related to that particular program or offering.
Is my information ever given to someone else?
The City considers an individual’s information confidential. We do not disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent unless disclosure is authorized by legislation, required by law or for the purposes of criminal investigation.
At times other government organizations such as Sask Power, Sask Energy, Provincial Ministries, or Statistics Canada may require personal information or information verification from the City in order to register you for services, confirm eligibility or for statistical purposes. Any disclosure made to these agencies is done so in accordance with The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Your information may also be used or disclosed for the purpose of locating you in order to collect a debt you owe to the City or to make a payment owing to you by the City.
The Regina Fire & Protective Services Department may collect, use and disclose your medical information in the provision of emergency response services. In all services provided by the City where your personal health information is collected, including fire and protective services, it is only shared in legally authorized situations including providing medical information to EMS, external health care providers or authorized organizations.
The City does not sell or rent personal information to other organizations.
Your information may be disclosed to organizations contracted by the City to provide services on behalf of the City. Contractors must maintain and protect your information in accordance with Canadian privacy legislation.
In some cases, information may be stored outside of Canada and will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction. Regardless of where information is stored, it must be maintained and protected in accordance with The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
How does the City protect my information?
The City takes many precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft, and misuse, as well as against unauthorized collection, access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. These measures include various forms of physical, technical and administrative precautions.
If you ever have concerns about the confidentiality or safeguarding of your personal information at the City of Regina or would like to report a suspected privacy breach you can do so by completing a Privacy Complaint form and submitting it to:
Access and Privacy Coordinator
Office of the City Clerk
Queen Elizabeth II Court
2476 Victoria Avenue
PO Box 1790
Regina, SK S4P 3C8
How do I make sure my information is accurate and how long does the City keep my information?
The City relies on your assistance to help maintain the accuracy and completeness of your personal information. Your information is retained for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
You can help ensure that your contact information is accurate, complete, and up to date by contacting Service Regina at 306-777-7000 or by using the Contact Us form.
How do I access my personal information at the City?
If you have questions about your personal information or would like access to your information please feel free to contact Service Regina at 306-777-7000 and they can assist you.
If your request for information appears to require a disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, seems extremely impractical or if there is concern over whether or not the request is permitted by law, you may be directed to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) Request. Information regarding the freedom of information process at the City of Regina as well as a downloadable application form is available on our website or by contacting the Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator (306-777-7070) at the City of Regina.
Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided to you as a convenience only. You are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy practices than the City of Regina. The City has no responsibility for such third party websites.
Photos on www.regina.ca supplied by Tourism Regina, Regina Leader Post, Regina Downtown Business Improvement District, Saskatchewan Tourism, Patricia Holdsworth, and City of Regina employees.